Thursday, September 11, 2008

Iowa City

Tuesday night we made the trip to Iowa City for Clayton's surgery. We went out the night before. Clayton had to be at the hospital Wednesday morning at 5:45. Troy and I decided to go out early thinking that it would make our lives much easier! I'm glad we did. Clayton had no idea what was really going on. All he cared about was getting to see his Uncle Mark and the football field!! My Grandma Vyrlee came with us to help out with Clarie. All five of us joined Mark Jr at The Edge in Coralville for supper. It was lots of fun. Getting to see my brother is always a good time as we don't see much of him now that he is busy with school and football.

Wednesday morning, 5:00 A.M. came pretty fast. I tried to be as organized as I could. Claire and Grandma were going to stay at the hotel while Troy and I headed off for the hospital. Needless to say Clayton was clueless as to what was going to happen to him. I tried to explain to him that the doctor was going to make his bump go bye-bye. He was okay with that. I think this whole procedure was much harder on mom and dad than him!

Troy got to go back to the operating room with him. He had to get all suited up with a cool gown and a mask. Clayton looked comfy in his bear flannel p.j.'s and cool slippers that the nurse gave to him. I was able to walk with them to a certain point and had to say my good-byes as they continued on. Clayton really thought he was cool stuff. He was walking like a big boy and kept looking at his dad with the fuuny clothes on! Troy said he was excellent in the OR room as they got things ready. A nurse came behind Clayton with a mask to give him some sleepy medicine! Troy said he didn't even get to 5 and he was out.

The whole procedure took about 2 and a half hours. The doctor was talking to us at about 10:00. The doctor explained to Troy and I that he did a biopsy with part of the mass. The biopsy is going to be tested to be sure that it is not a cancerous growth. Unfortunetly once we know all the results Clayton will have to have surgery again. If the results are not cancerous the rest of the mass will be removed. If the test results would come back cancerous they then would have to take a larger section out and more doctors would need to get involved. We are hoping to get test results in a few days. In the meantime we are continuing to be positive and pray that everything will come back fine.

Clayton has a small incision by his right shoulder blade. He has some stitches on the inside that will dissolve eventually. They used the cool glue on the outside! Clayton is being a trooper. He has a little pain, but does not complain much at all. He has always been one who can tolerate pain pretty well. Thanks to everyone who has called, stopped by to see us and has said prayers for Clayton. Everything means so much to us and we appreciate everything. I will try to keep the blog up to date as I get new information........

5 comments:

Jeannine said...

Troy, Michelle, Clayton, and Claire,
Thinking of your family and of Clayton's recent surgery. I wanted you to know that you are in my prayers. I am praying hard for good results. If you guys need anything, please call!
Love,
Jeannine Stoll

babyhentze said...

Michelle and Troy,
Just wanted to let you know that you guys are in my thoughts and prayers. Just stay positive!!!! I love you guys! Love, Jessica

Mindy said...

Michelle, you sound so calm about everything! We'll keep praying for all of you. :)

Brad Bodin said...

Michelle,
Sometimes prayers don't seem like enough, but it's all I've got. Know that you have lots of love coming your way from North Carolina.

Sharie said...

Thanks for keeping us updated. Love seeing the pics of the kids and what they're doing. Know you are loved and prayed for as you wait..... Love, Aunt Sharie


Clayton Troy